The team at ShelfTrend have used the Premium subscription product in April and May ’17, to unwrap the womens fragrance category on eBay Australia marketplace to demonstrate the power of the data to grow eBay businesses.
At any given time there are more than 70,000 active listings. Approximately 1.4% of those are auction; about the same are used fragrance products.
Over a 3-day period in April, there were more than 5,000 new listings offering more than 90,000 stock units in almost 450 unique brands by 684 sellers from 12 different countries.
· Price range from $5 to $345.
· Approximately 15% are auction listings. More than 30% are single quantity listings – which could be interpreted as coming from consumer sellers.
· Almost 80% of the 5,000 new listings were less than 5 stock quantities. Even from what appears to be large professional sellers, it is clearly difficult to acquire large amounts of inventory.
· Over this period, most new listings were for Calvin Klein followed by Guerlain fragrances.
· The largest seller is a US seller listing on the eBay Australian site with over a thousand listings.
· Reviewing after 30 days the majority of these new listings are expired with only a handful having been re-listed.
At the same time in April, the top 500 listings within the Women’s Fragrance category showed clear diversity across the majority of premium brands listed from the last 4-5 months.
Fast forward to May and diversity in the top 500 fragrances has shifted as a result of Mothers Day buyer demand, driving up the desire for classic fragrances from Yves Saint Laurent, Chanel and Christian Dior.
A sales stand out in the category is the MOR Marshmallow Perfume with a free gift for $48.50 plus Free shipping that has been listed since March 2015. Over a thousands sales and still going strong.
Moving beyond the Mother’s Day window, ShelfTrend data clearly indicate an incredible long tail in women’s fragrances - including products from The Smurfs, ACDC to celebrity fragrances like Michael Buble and Delta Goodrem. Coming from all over the world are deeper SKU to offer size variations, assortments, different packaging and free gifts. However, it is apparent classic fragrances anchor the category. Although difficult to obtain inventory, Yves Saint Laurent, Chanel and Christian Dior, with the right price, always sells through.
Be ahead of the game. Sign up to ShelfTrend Premium to define more clearly the selling opportunity in your current category and selling geographies, or to uncover potential new categories or countries to succeed on eBay.